Terminated Parent Seeking Custody When Children's Services Fails to Place Child

Published Date Written by Erik L. Smith

In re McBride (2006), 110 Ohio St. 3d 19. (Ohio Supreme Court)



The natural mother was in jail when her six-year-old child was found living alone. The juvenile court terminated the mother's parental rights for neglect, and Children's Services made a plan for adoption. But by age 13 the child still had not been adopted. The mother, claiming her situation had improved, petitioned for custody.


Children's Services argued that the mother lacked standing to claim custody because her rights were terminated. The juvenile court found that the mother had standing under Juvenile Court Rule 10, which let "any person" petition for custody. The Appellate Court upheld the decision. Children's Services appealed to the Ohio Supreme Court, citing Ohio Rev. Code 2151.414(F) and 2151.353(E)(2).



R. C. 2151.414(F): The parents of a child for whom the court has ordered permanent custody cease to be parties to the action.


R. C. 2151.353(E)(2): The only parties who may request modification of a permanent custody order are (1) a public children's services agency (2) a private child-placing agency (3) Job and Family Services (4) any parent of the child whose rights have not been terminated.


Ohio Constitution, Article IV, Section 5(B): The juvenile court rules cannot abridge, enlarge, or modify any substantive right (as opposed to procedural right).



Does a natural parent who has lost permanent custody of a child have standing as a non-parent to petition for custody of that child where the mother has substantially improved her conditions and parenting ability, and the child has not been adopted as planned?

Page Break



  1. The mother was essentially seeking to modify the permanent custody order, and she was not one of the four parties allowed to do so under the statutes.
  2. The questions of whether the mother is now a fit parent, or whether granting her custody would be in the children's best interest, were not reached because the mother lacked standing.
  3. The right to petition for custody was substantive, not procedural, thus Juv.R. 10 could not override the statutes.
  4. No court below found fault with Children's Services' efforts to find an adoptive home.
  5. Accordingly, the mother could gain custody of the child in the future, but only on Children's Services' initiative.

My Comment

I very begrudgingly agree with the Ohio Supreme Court that the mother may not petition for custody. My gut reaction, however, is, if Children's Services can't find an adoptive family for the child after seven years, why not give mom a try? That does not involve a constitutional right, however, so change must come from the legislature.


I also agree that the right to petition for custody is substantive, not procedural. But one must wonder just what purpose the juvenile statutes here serve. Obviously, the terminated parent should not be allowed to modify the order terminating their rights soon after the order. But what is the point of leaving that parent forever without standing where Children's Services cannot find an adoptive home after seven years and the parent claims to have improved her condition? It seems the child's best interest test should apply then. Unfortunately, the courts lack the authority to make that policy. It may be that the State cannot afford to have terminated parents regularly returning years later to petition for custody. On the other hand, there may be a point to requiring Children's Services to find adoptive homes for children within so many years, lest the permanent custody be subject to modification by a terminated parent. For now, Children's Services has the decision-making power in that situation.


The court appeared to leave open the questions of whether a parent who had some post-termination relationship with child, or where the failure to place the child for adoption was traceable to some fault of Children's Services, would have standing to seek custody.

The Ohio Putative Father Registry–the WHAT?

I am a single man. Yet I had been in Ohio for over a year before hearing of the Ohio Putative Father Registry, and then only in a Probate Law class. The professor was covering how a child could be adopted without the birth father's consent. "ORC 3701.061: A man who has sexual intercourse with a woman is on notice that if a child is born as a result and the man is the putative father, the child may be adopted without his consent pursuant to division (B) of section 3107 of the Revised Code." That section required the man sign the Putative Father Registry within thirty days after the birth to get notice of the adoption.


Ohio Putative Father Registry: The Basics

Unwed fathers are entitled to notice of petitions to adopt their biological children. Yet many fathers lose this right by not registering timely with the Ohio putative father registry (PFR).1R.C. 3107.062. Because adoptions are probate proceedings, lawyers practicing juvenile, domestic relations, or traditional probate law may not understand how the Ohio PFR applies.  At initial consultations then, attorneys may omit counseling fathers about the registry and refer them to attorneys with more specialized experience. But the strict registration deadline, and often unknown deadline date, demand that the father register immediately. Thus the attorney should consider counseling the client about the PFR and help him register that day before referring him. This article gives the information needed to do that.

Preventing Your Infant Child From Being Adopted Without Your Consent


Consult an adoption law or family law attorney. Otherwise: An unwed father has no absolute right to veto an adoption. You must take action to preserve your rights. Whether the mother is considering adoption or not, an unwed father should, as soon as possible and preferably before the birth:

Disclaimer: The information on the website is not intended to be a source of solicitation or legal advice, the results obtained in any legal matter discussed in any articles or examples are not typical. The information discussed on this website should not be construed as a certain result will occur in a similar situation, the reader should not rely on the information on this site as the sole source of information to make a legal-hiring decision. The reader should not consider the information on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act or decline to act based on the content from this site, and should instead contact an attorney or other appropriate professional. Articles and information on this website may discuss law in multiple jurisdictions, as laws and regulations differ from one jurisdiction to another, it is important to discuss your particular situation with an attorney in the jurisdiction where your legal matter exist. Erik Smith does not represent that he has any particular expertise in any area of law. You may email Erik Smith, but to the extent allowed by law those communications shall not be treated as privileged unless Erik Smith represents you, as such do not send confidential information until you have established a formal attorney-client relationship with him. Where applicable on this website, you are informed that we are an interactive computer service that enables access by multiple users and should not be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider. Where applicable Copyright ©2023 Erik L Smith